Sunday, January 18, 2009

LONG WAY to go


Hi Friends! After a day or two of good rest, I'm recharged and feel much better. Thanks for your wishes. Things look pretty easy for the next few weeks, as I will be attending my company's National Sales Meeting, which happens annually, where everyone from all the different states in Malaysia, plus Singapore and Vietnam comes together to listen for the new year's directions and targets set by the management, and also to see how we performed last year. That will be from Monday to Wednesday. I would have to be excused on Wednesday, since I had already bought my plane ticket back to my hometown, Kuching for Chinese New Year celebrations, long before the meeting dates were announced. The meeting was initially supposed to take place the previous Monday to Wednesday (previous week), but was postponed. By the way, Chinese New Year falls on the 26th and 27th of January. So if you still don't have any inkling by now, yes, I'm a Chinese :p

It will be a great time to catch up with my family, relatives, long lost friends, who, like me, are residing in places other than their birthplace. I will be looking forward to a high school reunion on the 24th, as I will get to meet classmates or schoolmates that I haven't seen for more than 13-15 years. It's not that I don't want to keep in touch with them, but we have our own family, our own set of new friends, so things changed. To say "friends forever" will be difficult, unless, of course, both party strive to keep the friendship going. Of course we are still friends, but you know there are many categories of friends - stranger, acquaintance, friend, buddy, best friend, partner. At best, these friends of mine are just friends, since we hardly meet up or talk other than once a year during Chinese New Year.

Now why did I go into all that? That wasn't what I planned to post up, if you refer to the title! LOL

I was planning to update you all on the progress that I'm making in my running and training. If you had been following my blog faithfully, you will know that I had been using a new and revised training plan for about a month now. So let's see...

3-mile Run
First achievement: 31:40
Current best achievement: 30:57.91
Target: 18 mins or less

If you are a runner, you will understand that 13 minutes to minus is a LONG WAY to go. Looks discouraging, but I have good news! The right knee pain is gone! And I just ran my fastest ever 15 rounds (roughly 6km) a couple of days ago - 39:19, as compared to the previous personal best of 40:07.96. And yes, that is indeed a great milestone, as it is the first time I ran below 40 minutes, and I felt that I could have run an even faster time, since I was not pushing very hard yet.


100 Sit-ups
First achievement: 4:41.03
Current best achievement: 4:25.44
Target: 2 mins or less

It's crazy!!! I mean, I am already pushing my hardest, and I've got more than double the target time to subtract from the current time. Phew... And by just doing 100 sit-ups is already quite an achievement by itself! But not to fret... I will get there, no matter what. So here's looking forward to the first milestone - to go below 4 minutes.


77 Push-ups
First achievement: 59 push-ups in 40 minutes
Current best achievement: 77 in 40:11
Target: 77 in 2 mins or less

Arrrrrrrgh!!! Ok, you may laugh now. Yes, for this, I am waaaaaaaaaaaay off the target. More than 38 minutes to minus! Well, I don't know how long it will take, but I have faith that one day, one fine day, I will get there. Hopefully, I will still be blogging then, and hopefully, you'll still be following my blog, so that we could both know when I achieve the goal.


Chin-ups
First achievement: 0
Current best achievement: 1
Target: 20

Ok, you may laugh again. I just don't get it. WHY can't I do it? Is it my technique? Or my muscles are just not strong enough? Or could it be my increasingly growing body mass, which makes it more and more difficult to lift myself up? Maybe it's not as bad as the push-ups, and I think they correlate. If I can do 77 push-ups in 2 mins or less, most probably I will be able to do more chin-ups. We'll see :)


Ah well, let's hope that I could get as fit as possible before my second half marathon in June :) Have a beautiful Sunday and a great week ahead Friends! God bless you!

2 Comments:

Blogger MysLykeMeeh said...

ahh..so ur Chinese--but ur Englishhhh is quiet good--in fact, very fluent...

and yeah, that's crazy--pushing urself to those kind of tiring exercise!

Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:52:00 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hi John,
I would say you are doing quite well in your endeavor to meet the goals you've set with your exercise routine. You make little steps that bring you closer to your goals...progress! Excellent! You will acheive those goals eventually! I'll be cheering you on, too!
I admire your tenacity to keep on keeping on! Just don't push yourself too hard.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home